Te Tari Pāngarau me te Tatauranga
Department of Mathematics & Statistics

Which MATH 100-level paper should I take?

The following 100-level Math papers are offered every year (in increasing order of level of Mathematics):

By checking the particular requirements of your degree and major subject, you can find out which of these papers you need to take. Note that none of them has any formal requirements.

Our experience taught us that it is strongly advisable that you choose to start with that paper that suits you best regarding your knowledge and confidence in mathematics – even if your degree requires only a more advanced paper. We also think that, if your level is high enough, you should enrol directly into papers on a higher level. However, at the end, the decision is largely up to you.

Here are some of the most common possibilities:

In order to help you with this decision we have put some recommendations regarding the NCEA Levels in Maths which we think would be desirable for each particular paper on the respective pages. Moreover, we have created two placement tools, which you can use to underpin your decision:

Whatever your circumstances are, if you are still unsure, please feel free to talk to one of our Mathematics advisers.