Professor Emeritus Vernon SquireOffice: No physical location on campus
Phone: 021 213 5815
** Vernon left the Department in 2005 to become the Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Division of Sciences. In 2010 he was appointed as Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic and International), which later became Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic). He became Professor Emeritus from 1 May 2019, continuing his research interests and maintaining links with the University. **
Professor Emeritus Squire has now retired.
Recent research interests of Professor Squire relate to modelling environmental phenomena, especially processes that occur in the polar regions. A focus has been to understand sea-ice in relation to the climates of the Arctic and Southern Oceans, with some effort being put into explaining how ocean waves interact with sea-ice and especially how the ice breaks up. This includes modelling single ice floes, icebergs, heterogeneous and imperfect ice sheets, and research on scattering in random media. The work has been supported by a sequence of grants, including three Marsden Grants and a 5-year grant from the US Office of Naval Research that relates to how ocean waves have contributed to the incredible sea-ice reductions we are experiencing in the Arctic and the apparent sea-ice stability or even growth in the Antarctic. Unusually for a Department of Mathematics and Statistics, theoretical work has been supported by fieldwork in the polar regions. The work is highly collaborative, involving several New Zealand institutions funded under the same overarching grants, and many scientists from organizations abroad - especially the US.
Some Useful Links
- Polar Environments: An Otago University Research Theme
- Collaborative sea-ice research in the Department of Physics at the University of Otago
- Ocean physics in the Department of Marine Science
Published or in press papers from 2016 onwards
- Kovalev, D. P., Kovalev, P. D. and Squire, V. A. Crack formation and breakout of shore fast sea ice in Mordvinova Bay, south-east Sakhalin Island. Cold Regions Science and Technology 175, 103082, doi https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coldregions.2020.103082 (2020).
- Kovalev, P. D. and Squire, V. A. Ocean wave / sea ice interactions in the south-eastern coastal zone of Sakhalin Island. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 238, 106725, doi https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2020.106725 (2020).
- Massom, R. A., Scambos, T. A., Bennetts, L. G., Reid, P., Squire, V. A. and Stammerjohn, S. E. Antarctic ice shelf disintegration triggered by sea ice loss and ocean swell. Nature, 558(7710), 383-389 + Methods, doi 10.1038/s41586-018-0212-1 (2018).
- Montiel, F. and Squire, V. A. Modelling wave-induced sea ice break-up in the marginal ice zone. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series A, 473(2206), 1-25 doi https://doi.org/10.1098/rspa.2017.0258 (2017).
- Montiel, F., Squire, V. A. and Bennetts, L. G. Attenuation and directional spreading of ocean wave spectra in the marginal ice zone. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 790, 492-522 doi https://doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2016.21 (2016).
- Montiel, F., Squire, V. A., Doble, M. J., Thomson, J. and Wadhams, P. Attenuation and directional spreading of ocean waves during a storm event in the autumn Beaufort Sea marginal ice zone. Journal of Geophysical Research, doi 10.1029/2018JC013763 (2018).
- Mosig, J. E. M., Montiel, F. and Squire, V. A. Water wave scattering from a mass loading ice floe of random length using generalised polynomial chaos. Wave Motion,70, 222-239 doi https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wavemoti.2016.09.005 (2017).
- Mosig, J. E. M., Montiel, F. and Squire, V. A. On the transport of energy by surface flexural gravity waves. The 32nd International Workshop on Water Waves and Floating Bodies, Dalian, China, 23rd-26th April 2017, Article 39, 4pp (2017).
- Mosig, J. E. M., Montiel, F. and Squire, V. A. A transport equation for flexural-gravity wave propagation under a sea ice cover of variable thickness. Wave Motion, 88, 153-166 doi https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wavemoti.2019.03.010 (2019).
- Squire, V. A. A fresh look at how ocean waves and sea ice interact. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, Series A, 376, 20170342, doi 10.1098/rsta.2017.0342 (2018).
- Squire, V. A. Ocean wave interactions with sea ice: a reappraisal. Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, 52, 37-60 doi https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-fluid-010719-060301 (2020).
- Squire, V. A., Kovalev, D. P., and Kovalev, P. D. Aspects of surface wave propagation with and without sea ice on the south-eastern shelf of Sakhalin Island. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 251, 107227 doi https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2021.107227 (2021).
- Squire, V. A., Kovalev, D. P., Kovalev, P. D., Medvedevc, I. P. and Kulikov, M. E. A cornucopia of oscillations on the Laptev Sea shelf. Continental Shelf Research 227, 104514 doi https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csr.2021.104514 (2021).
- Squire, V. A., Kovalev, P. D. and Kovalev, D. P. Resonance and interactions of infragravity waves with sea ice. Cold Regions Science and Technology 182, 103217 doi https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coldregions.2020.103217 (2021).
- Squire, V. A., Kovalev, P. D. and Kovalev, D. P. Soliton-like waves in the vicinity of the southern Kuril Islands. Physical Oceanography 28(1), 3-19 doi 10.22449/0233-7584-2021-1-3-19 (2021). Translation of Солитоноподобные волны в окрестностях Южных Курильских островов. Морской гидрофизический журнал 37(1), 5-22 (2021, in Russian).
- Squire, V. A., Kovalev, P. D., Kovalev, D. P. and Zarochintsev, V. S. On the trapping of energy from storm surges in the Sea of Okhotsk. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 250, 107136 doi https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2020.107136 (2021).
- Squire, V. A., Kovalev, P. D. and Kovalev, D. P. How sea ice can affect coastal swells, infragravity waves and leaky wave modes: Spectral adaptation from modulation. Wave Motion 105, 102764 doi https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wavemoti.2021.102764 (2021).
- Squire, V. A. and Montiel, F. Evolution of directional wave spectra in the marginal ice zone: a new model tested with legacy data. Journal of Physical Oceanography, 46(10), 3121-3137 doi https://doi.org/10.1175/JPO-D-16-0118.1 (2016).
Earlier publications arising from conferences co-convened at the University of Otago
For a copy of the following proceedings, available in three volumes, please contact the Department of Physics, University of Otago.
- Squire, V. A. and Langhorne, P. J. (eds.) Ice in the Environment: Proceedings of 16th International Symposium on Ice, 1, International Association of Hydraulic Engineering and Research (2002) 513p, ISBN 1-877139-52-1.
- Squire, V. A. and Langhorne, P. J. (eds.) Ice in the Environment: Proceedings of 16th International Symposium on Ice, 2, International Association of Hydraulic Engineering and Research (2002) 452p, ISBN 1-877139-52-1.
- Squire, V. A. and Langhorne, P. J. (eds.) Ice in the Environment: Proceedings of 16th International Symposium on Ice, 3, International Association of Hydraulic Engineering and Research (2002) 363p, ISBN 1-877139-52-1.
For a copy of the following journal special issue with selected papers from the 2005 International Symposium on Sea-Ice, please contact the International Glaciological Society, Scott Polar Research Institute, Lensfield Road, Cambridge CB2 1ER, UK. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Langhorne, P. J. and Squire, V. A. (eds.) Annals of Glaciology, 44, (2006) 448p, ISBN 0-946417-39-3.